Updated November 2022 – November is Make a Will Month in Ontario. This is an opportunity to do what you may have been putting off for several months (or years). We encourage you to contact one of our Wills & Estates lawyers if you would like to prepare or review your Will.
A substantial number of Ontarians do not have a Will. If you are one of those individuals, or if you have a Will in need of amending, our lawyers can help you to create a Will that reflects your wishes. There are many benefits of having a Will, including:
- Providing for the ones you care about;
- Preventing arguments between loved ones after you are gone;
- Keeping the government out of your affairs;
- Reducing the costs of administering your estate; and,
- Reducing or avoiding probate fees.
One of our lawyers will ask you a number of questions before preparing your Will, including:
- The name of the person or people you wish to oversee the administration of your estate. These individuals are known as Estate Trustees and Executors.
- The people whom you wish to benefit from your Estate. These individuals are your Beneficiaries.
- If you have minor children, the person or people you wish to appoint to care for your children. These people are known as Guardians and Custodians.
In order to properly prepare your Will, one of our lawyers will also ask you for a list of the assets that you own. Your list should include items such as bank accounts, real property, life insurance policies, registered retirement savings plans or registered retirement income funds, personal possessions, interests in businesses and investments.
The decisions you make (or do not make) are significant. Many people procrastinate about preparing or updating a Will because they do not feel prepared. It is often easier to make these important decisions in consultation with someone else. If you are having trouble “getting around to” preparing your Will, make an appointment to speak to one of our Wills & Estates lawyers to have a preliminary discussion. You may find that it is much simpler and more straightforward than you anticipated. Those who have a Will that comprehensively and accurately reflects their wishes have the peace of mind of knowing that they have properly planned for the future.
If you have questions about how to get started or updating your will, please contact us.