Powers of Attorney

Powers of Attorney are important components of a good estate plan. A Power of Attorney is a legal document by which you grant someone you trust (called your “attorney”) the right to make decisions for you if you become incapable of managing your own affairs.

There are two types of Power of Attorney:

Request an Appointment for your Powers of Attorney needs

Powers of Attorney

    Powers of Attorney - HGR Graham Partners LLP

    1. Power of Attorney for Personal Care

    A Power of Attorney for Personal Care appoints a person (or persons) to make decisions for you affecting your personal care when you cannot make the decisions yourself, due to advanced age, or perhaps a severe stroke or an accident.  The power can be wide, or can be restricted according to your wishes, and can contain specific instructions on a wide range of personal care matters such as living accommodations, nutrition, clothing, hygiene, and safety, health care, medical treatment, and drugs.

    The attorney under the Power of Attorney for Personal Care may make decisions about your health care, such as:

    • medical treatments, such as accepting or refusing treatments by regulated health care professionals, including doctors, nurses, dentists, and physiotherapists.
    • admission to a long-term care facility.
    • personal assistance services in long-term care homes, such as bathing and help with meals.

    A Power of Attorney for Personal Care takes effect only if you are not mentally capable of making decisions for yourself. Being mentally incapable means that you:

    • are not able to understand the information needed to make personal care decisions, or
    • are not able to appreciate what might happen when you make or refuse to make personal care decisions.

    Your attorney’s authority is restricted to decisions that you are not capable of making for yourself. For example, you might be capable of taking care of your nutrition and clothing, but not capable of making decisions about your housing.

    The Power of Attorney document can include a statement about who can decide if you are capable to make personal care decisions. This can be a health-care practitioner or even your attorney.  There are duly qualified capacity assessors appointed by the Province of Ontario who can conduct a capacity assessment in the event that your capacity to manage your affairs is at issue.

    To grant a Power of Attorney for Personal Care you must be at least 16 years of age and  mentally capable

    To be considered mentally capable of giving a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, it must be clear that you understand the need to choose someone with genuine concern for your welfare, and that there may be a need for that person to make personal care decisions on your behalf. It must be clear that your decision to appoint an attorney under the Power of Attorney for Personal Care is made voluntarily and not by undue influence or duress.

    Selecting your Attorney for Personal Care

    The person you decide to appoint as your attorney should be someone with good judgement, whom you trust to make important decisions about your personal needs. This could be a family member or a close friend. You will want to ensure your chosen appointee is willing to take on the responsibility of the role and, importantly, understands your values.

    The following people are not eligible to act as your attorney, if they are paid (by you or someone else) to provide services to you, unless that person is also a family member:

    • your landlord.
    • any person who provides care for you in the place where you live.
    • your social worker, counsellor, teacher.
    • your doctor, nurse, therapist, or other health care provider.

    Advance Health Care Directives

    You will want to discuss with your attorney the kinds of decisions that they might have to make for you, and what your considerations are when you make these decisions for yourself.

    Your Power of Attorney can include your wishes about your personal care. This is sometimes called an “advance care plan”. It can include matters such as:

    • remaining in your own home as long as possible.
    • respecting your religion or dietary preferences when choosing food.
    • allowing or declining to use artificial life support if you become terminally ill.
    • talking to family members before making certain decisions.

    You may want to include an advance health care directive as part of your Power of Attorney for Personal Care.

    An advance directive is a document that tells others what you want to happen if you need medical care and are unable to consent or refuse treatment. For example, some people write an advance directive that says they do not want to be kept alive on life support if they have no hope of recovery.

    An advance directive helps guide your attorney under the Power of Attorney for Personal Care in the choices to be made. The advance care directive is made with the goal of sharing the responsibility for such difficult decisions and relieving feelings of guilt when decisions need to be made.

    Under Ontario law, if you express wishes about your future care while you are mentally capable, these instructions will be binding on your attorney or other substitute decision-maker, unless your wishes are impossible to follow at the time the attorney is asked to make the decision.

    Often the document provides instructions on end-of-life care, including authorizing medical assistance in dying, if permitted by law at the time your attorney is acting.

    If no Attorney for Personal Care is appointed

    If a person become incapable of making health-care decisions, the Health Care Consent Act delineates in order those persons statutorily entitled to make these decisions:

    • your Guardian for Personal Care, if you have one;
    • the attorney you name in your Power of Attorney for Personal Care, if you have one or are capable of making one;
    • your representative appointed by the Consent and Capacity Board, if you have one;
    • your spouse or partner;
    • your parent or your child if they’re at least 16 years old;
    • your brother or sister;
    • any other relative;
    • the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.

    2. Power of Attorney for Property

    As with the Power of Attorney for Personal Care, the Power of Attorney for Property is a document created to grant a person the authority to deal with your affairs if you become incapable by illness or disability from making these decisions for yourself. In this case the decisions pertain to your financial life, from filing your income tax returns, to paying your bills, to buying and selling investments on your behalf or acting as your legal representative in case of a lawsuit. A general continuing Power of Attorney for Property is a very powerful document. Unless you specify otherwise, the person you name can start making decisions immediately.

    In your consideration of who to appoint as your Attorney for Property, you will want to ensure the person you choose is trustworthy, understands your wishes and agrees to this important responsibility, which includes keeping detailed records of all transactions involving your money and assets. In selecting your attorney, you will want to consider persons with some experience or facility with financial decisions. One option is to use a trust company to act as your attorney. The trust company charges a fee but will be professional and impartial.

    To be considered mentally capable of giving a Power of Attorney for Property, it must be clear that:

    • you are aware of the nature and extent of your assets;
    • you are aware of obligations you owe to your dependents;
    • you understand the authority and power you are giving to the person holding Power of Attorney for Property;
    • For a Power of Attorney for Property, the person must be at least 18 years old;
    • Anyone given Power of Attorney must be considered mentally capable when they are appointed.

    If No Power of Attorney is created:

    For any financial decisions, legal authority is needed. If you become unable to make decisions about your property or finances and you do not have a Power of Attorney for Property in place, someone will have to apply to a court for authority to act on your behalf during the period of your incapacity. This is a slow, expensive, and sometimes contentious proceeding. The Ontario government Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee will step in to be appointed if there are no other suitable candidates, such as family members. A capacity assessment by a capacity assessor appointed by the Province of Ontario will be the first line of inquiry.

    Once an assessment finds that you are mentally incompetent, a Certificate of Incapacity will be issued. The Public Guardian and Trustee will become the guardian first. This is called a “statutory guardianship”.  As the guardian, they will first seek out any family member who can replace them as your guardian. Provided there are no disagreements among family members as to who should be the replacement guardian, the Public Guardian and Trustee will hand over guardianship immediately. That person will then have guardianship while you are mentally incompetent.

    Virtual Witnessing

    During the COVID 19 pandemic, the execution of personal planning documents (Wills and Powers of Attorney) has become very challenging, especially for those persons who must keep strict social isolation.

    The Ontario legislature has passed revisions to the law to permit lawyers to witness the execution of such documents remotely by video. There are also other options for the execution of these documents, such as socially distanced appointments in driveways, and as always, clients may attend at our offices, as law firms have been deemed an essential service by the Province.

    Request an Appointment

    Meet HGR Graham's Powers of Attorney Lawyers

    • Sean Ainley

      Sean Ainley


      Phone: 705.526.2232 ext. 227

      Email: Sean Ainley

      Meet Sean Ainley

    • Riley Brooks

      Riley Brooks


      Phone: 705.737.1249 ext. 171

      Email: Riley Brooks

      Meet Riley Brooks

    • Joshua Clarke

      Joshua Clarke


      Phone: 705.737.1249 ext. 111

      Email: Joshua Clarke

      Meet Joshua Clarke

    • Chrisandra Firth

      Chrisandra Firth


      Phone: 705.327.6656 ext. 334

      Email: Chrisandra Firth

      Meet Chrisandra Firth

    • Michael Hanton

      Michael Hanton


      Phone: 705.737.1249 ext. 123

      Email: Michael Hanton

      Meet Michael Hanton

    • Christine Manners

      Christine Manners


      Phone: 705.327.6656 ext. 323

      Email: Christine Manners

      Meet Christine Manners

    • Wendy Miller

      Wendy Miller


      Phone: 705.737.1811 ext. 128

      Email: Wendy Miller

      Meet Wendy Miller

    • Richard Moran

      Richard Moran


      Phone: 705.526.2232 ext. 290

      Email: Richard Moran

      Meet Richard Moran

    • Suzanne Poole

      Suzanne Poole


      Phone: 705.549.6060 ext. 437

      Email: Suzanne Poole

      Meet Suzanne Poole

    • Stephanie Yeo

      Stephanie Yeo


      Phone: 705.526.2232 ext. 276

      Email: Stephanie Yeo

      Meet Stephanie Yeo

    Wills & Estates
    Legal Services from HGR Graham Partners LLP

    Browse Our Other Legal Services

    "Expedient, personal, and pleasant to deal with"

    "Good service, easy to work with"

    "Extremely happy with the service provided"

    "Your service was excellent and very efficient"

    "Top notch service. No improvement necessary"

    "Good service, friendly approach"

    "They’re efficient and do a great job"


    See what we have been up to

    Non-Resident Speculation Tax (All You Need to Know)

        By: Joshua Clarke & Michael Hanton   This guide explains Ontario’s Non-Resident Speculation Tax (NRST), a tax on certain purchases of residential property by foreign individuals and entities. ......

    Read Now

    Notice to Clients: 2024 Capital Gains Changes

      The 2024 federal budget has brought unexpected news for taxpayers and tax professionals alike. The budget proposed changes to the capital gains inclusion rate, aimed at enhancing tax fairness ......

    Read Now

    Canada’s Foreign Buyer Ban (A Complete Guide)

      By: Joshua Clarke & Jennifer Parker   Introduction To address the growing concern of housing affordability in Canada, the federal government has extended the Prohibition on the Purchase of ......

    Read Now

    HGR Graham Partners Sponsors 2024 SheLeads Georgian Bay

      HGR Graham Partners LLP is pleased to be co-sponsoring SheLeads Georgian Bay with Ferguson Deacon Taws LLP as the Venue Sponsor. Join us on Saturday, May 25, 2024 for ......

    Read Now

    Cohabitation Agreements & Marriage Contracts

      Cohabitation and marriage contracts are agreements between partners that set out the parties’ rights and obligations in the event of their separation. They are forward looking agreements and may ......

    Read Now

    Temporary Help Agencies and Recruiters – ESA Changes (What You Need to Know)

        Recent changes to the Employment Standards Act (ESA) have altered the landscape for Temporary Help Agencies and Recruiters who carry on business in Ontario. Many companies across the ......

    Read Now

    What is Title Insurance? (What you need to know)

      A title insurance policy is a policy of indemnity that insures against loss or damage arising from title defects or other covered risks which may include survey issues, encroachments, ......

    Read Now

    Scroll to top